Gummy Vite (n.) a children's multivitamin cleverly disguised as a delicious gummy bear; it tricks children into enjoying their vitamins and forces them to question the definition of candy as they know it.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Self-Deception

Many ways to handle life are centered around self-deception, whether it involves pretending a situation is improving when it isn’t, simply ignoring the existence of it altogether, or exclaiming “Perfect! This is exactly what I wanted!” when, in fact, this is exactly what you did not want. I employ methods of self-deception all the time: When a spider sneaks up on me while I am doing homework, I leave the room and collect myself until it disappears from view; I then return and resume working while pretending that there isn’t a spider lurking in some corner of the room... Self-deception allows us to find peace with ourselves. People realize that although keeping in touch with reality is important, knowing the truth does not always equate a fulfilled or happy life, and they sacrifice their realities accordingly. But to what extent is blissful ignorance desirable?

In “The History Teacher”, Collins produces the image of a history teacher who is the definition of self-deception. He teaches his students things that he knows are untrue, but believes that he is somehow helping the kids by preserving their “innocence”. However, these same kids that he believes to be so naive torment each other as soon as they are out of his line of sight. The bullying is not only a great point of irony in the image of the “innocent” child, but also a reflection of the teacher’s inadequacies -- because he shields the children from the evils of the world, they are less likely to look critically at their own behavior. In this way, Collins asserts that age does not determine innocence or wisdom. Kids don’t always mean well, and adults (like the history teacher) can be painfully ignorant. 

I think the sort of existence that the history teacher leads is the saddest kind...even though he could live his whole life like this feeling perfectly content, his life will have gone to waste. As a teacher, his impact on the children could only be detrimental. As an individual, he loses much of himself in his indulgent creation of a fantasy world. I hope my self-deceptions never become so consuming that they define me.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I really love this post, Lillian! Your examples of self-deception were really cute and engaging, while your analysis of the pathetic teacher and his "inadequacies" was really assertive and weighty. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That pathetic teacher...haha, thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the part about the spider, I do that too! Also, the ending sentences really makes you question yourself; I hope I'm not living in a fantasy world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL this is kind of unrelated, but do you ever wonder whether your whole life has been a dream?

      Delete
  3. Haha great post Lillian! I too think that the teacher is really ignorant. He tries to protect his kids from the truth but in end, by lying to them he's actually hurting them. Anyways, Great post again Lillian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so interesting how you analyzed the history teacher's life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, Lillian, you always have such interesting anecdotes for your posts. I never knew your life was such a thrill ride. But I agree with your deeper message. Self deception is our method of coping. I one deceived myself that I was pretty good at math; then, I met you.

    ReplyDelete