Gummy Vite (n.) a children's multivitamin cleverly disguised as a delicious gummy bear; it tricks children into enjoying their vitamins and forces them to question the definition of candy as they know it.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Field Trip to the DIA

I wish I had taken a picture of the nameplate. :(
I attempted to find the name of the painting afterwards
(through Google, very strenuous work), but to no avail.
Update: The painting is "Savoy Ballroom" by Reginald Marsh



On Friday, I went on the Spanish field trip to the DIA.

 “Ha!”, I thought, “I’ll miss English! Yippee!”

However, as I walked through the museum, I came upon a painting of African-Americans dancing in a jazz club during the 1920’s. I examined the faces of the men and women dancing in the picture. Gaiety exuded from every aspect of the picture, from the facial expressions and body language to the vividly colored finery worn by the black men and women. I began to feel a nagging suspicion that I wasn’t going to engage in the thought-free day I had expected.

I was attacked by a rush of thoughts about the poems we read in class -- Langston Hughes’s “Harlem” and “The Weary Blues” depict a much different view of life for African Americans, a life that “festers like a sore”. He documents the hardships that blacks faced and the heavy burden that society places on them because of their race. In contrast to the painter who portrayed the blacks’ lives as enjoyable, carefree, and even glamorous, Hughes portrayed the life of a black as melancholy and tiresome.

However, In the piece by Zora Neale Hurston that we read this weekend, the author seemed to reflect on her heritage in a more positive light, embracing her blackness and seeming to expect others to embrace it as well.


“[The orchestra] constricts the thorax and splits the heart with its tempo and narcotic harmonies...I dance wildly inside myself; I yell within, I whoop; I shake my assegai above my head, I hurl it true to the mark yeeeeooww! I am in the jungle and living in the jungle way.”
I can almost imagine Hurston dancing alongside the people in this painting.

Also, I was just kidding about missing English and the yippee.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You use anecdotes so well throughout your posts, and I like how you zoomed in on one part of the picture. It's really amazing how art and literature are connected so well, like that portrait of self reliance with the fog and trees and stuff we saw like a month ago. P.S., you can copy the image into google images and search. http://tinyurl.com/asdfghjh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was "ninja'd" by Omkar... Anyway, http://bit.ly/Uwn1Gn (the fourth link in Omkar's link) provides additional information about the painting. Your analysis of the similarities and differences between the literature of the Hughes and Hurston and the art of March was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job connecting things you learned on the Spanish field trip to the DIA with things that we are learning about in English. This will make a great discussion during class! Great job again Lillian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Ahilan! I forgot to mention your blog in class!!!

      Delete