Gummy Vite (n.) a children's multivitamin cleverly disguised as a delicious gummy bear; it tricks children into enjoying their vitamins and forces them to question the definition of candy as they know it.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Informal Post: "Tackling Asian Privilege"

I was looking up news sources and their slants for my Government class, when I came upon this article:  http://takimag.com/article/tackling_asian_privilege_gavin_mcinnes#axzz2MOowtiXk

Not only is this article in direct parallel with Staples' "Black Men and Public Space," but I found it was also intriguing in that it explores (and deplores) the status of Asians in America. 

I'm fairly certain that McInnes was satirizing white supremacists and their paranoia of the "rise" of other races...his very argument, that Asians are banding together to exploit the system and oppress other minorities (and whites), is so ridiculous that I can't comprehend that he -- or anyone -- could truly believe it. He even states that ideally, Asians should actually be "penalized" for their "latent inequality," which is the privilege that they gain by "simply existing."
Side note: Harrison Bergeron. Just saying.

However, after reading the comments section (only read them if you want to feel like stabbing your computer),  I realized that many did take his argument as serious...and were willing to construct essay-long comments in order to argue that Asians had contributed nothing to society in comparison to Europeans, or that incompetent minorities using affirmative action are taking all the jobs from highly competent whites. In the end, it doesn't even matter that much whether McInnes meant it or not; the fact that there are people in the world who are defending this argument at all troubles me.
"Asians haven't risen, they've been lifted at white's expense." -Equality64 

2 comments:

  1. Equality64 is the name of a character from Ayn Rand's "Anthem". Interesting book. Also, enjoying the side note. Living at the margin, I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, didn't get that reference. Haha even though I'm fairly sure I've read that book before...well this is embarrassing. And thanks.

      Delete